Business Bootcamp: The Modern Leader
The single most important skill of modern leadership is empathy. CEOs around the world engaged in professional coaching are focussing their efforts on how to bring compassion into their leadership and communication, how to cultivate deep listening skills and how to truly step into the perspective of another – whether it be a team member, customer or competitor.
The uncompromising and ruthless leadership traits once regarded as essential for getting ahead in business success are rapidly becoming a marker of an out of touch organisation. If we are going to lead a successful career, signal our capacity for leadership to our employers, create a more loyal and productive team and more realistically understand our stakeholders, empathic leadership is the north star to get us there.
Join fellow participants for an intensive day-long workshop including an introduction to emotional intelligence, key skills with practical applications on how we can develop empathic leadership, and networking with other curious business-minded individuals.
What We Explore:
Part One: Leadership
- Discuss the overall nature of leadership and how it has changed through history
- Take a realistic look at some of the trials of leadership, and how to tackle them
- Develop a more compassionate approach to ourselves to improve our relationships with others
- Learn to communicate clear purpose to clients and colleagues
- Build a more productive workforce by demonstrating trust in employees or subordinates
Part Two: Empathy
- Consider the differences between empathy and sympathy
- Practise using empathy as a way of building connection and overcoming conflict
- Consider the use of empathy in devising products and solutions that will work well for other people
- Practise anticipating the needs of other people
Part Three: Supportiveness
- Practise slowing down communication and listening to what others are implying as well as what they are saying directly
- Practise listening in an insightful and emotionally supportive way
- Consider the art of when and how to give advice and feedback
- Consider ways to demonstrate availability and supportiveness through action as well as words
9.15 am Arrival & refreshments
9.30 am Module 1: Leadership (incl. tea break)
12.00 pm Lunch (Included)
1.00 pm Module 2: Empathy (incl. tea break)
3.15 pm Module 3: Supportiveness
5.00 pm Finish & reflection
5.15 pm Close
ABOUT BUSINESS BOOTCAMPS
It is universally recognised that alongside technical skills, people who can master a range of sophisticated emotional skills are better able to thrive, manage themselves and succeed at work.
Our business bootcamps are designed to help participants navigate the challenges of work in the 21st Century.
Join fellow participants for an intensive day-long workshop including an introduction to emotional intelligence, key skills with practical applications, and networking with other curious business-minded individuals.
'I think we all have empathy; we may not have enough courage to display it.'
- Maya Angelou
Sally McNamara is a change maker, storyteller and relationship builder with over 14 years' experience working in global companies such as Siemens, BBC and DLA Piper across Australia, Hong Kong, and the UK. Sally’s particular interest is in helping individuals to develop and practice their emotional skills to help them have a more fulfilling experience of work (and life!). She passionately believes that emotional skills will be the key differentiator in the digital age – both for individuals and for companies.