How To Enjoy Life
How To Enjoy Life teaches us:
- The skills of appreciation and gratitude
- How little we sometimes notice what is around us
- How to awaken ourselves to the beauty and value of the things, people and ideas with which we are surrounded
- How to properly absorb what is already precious in our lives
- The art of sampling happiness without being sentimental or deluded - a skill we term ‘cheerful despair’
This class is a tool of re-enchantment. We are nudged into seeing how neglectful we can be of many phenomena that lack social prestige, not because we are bad or lazy, but because we are up against enormous obstacles to proper appreciation.
Drawing especially on art and literature, the class gently and wisely encourages us to make more of what we have.
TIMETABLE - WEEKDAYS
5.45pm Drinks & welcome
6.00pm Class begins
7.30pm Break (times vary)
9.00pm Class finishes
‘The more one does and sees and feels, the more one is able to do, and the more genuine may be one’s appreciation of fundamental things like home, and love, and understanding companionship.’
– Amelia Earhart
How To Enjoy Life is one of the twelve classes that comprise our core curriculum. Our classes tackle the core themes of emotional life, from relationships and the workplace, to understanding the self and exploring our relationship with culture. You can explore the full curriculum here.
The School of Life Curriculum has been written, designed and quality assured by The School of Life HQ in London, led by Alain de Botton. Presented as an EQ learning journey, these 12 classes and 4 full-day workshops bring together over 10 years of teaching and continuous improvement of our emotional intelligence curriculum around the world.