How To Enjoy Life
How to Enjoy Life teaches us:
- The skills of appreciation and gratitude.
- How little we sometimes notice what is around us.
- How to awaken ourselves to the beauty and value of the things, people and ideas with which we are surrounded.
- How to properly absorb what is already precious in our lives.
- The art of sampling happiness without being sentimental or deluded - a skill we term ‘cheerful despair’.
This class is a tool of re-enchantment. We are nudged into seeing how neglectful we can be of many phenomena that lack social prestige, not because we are bad or lazy, but because we are up against enormous obstacles to proper appreciation.
Drawing especially on art and literature, the class gently and wisely encourages us to make more of what we have.
‘The more one does and sees and feels, the more one is able to do, and the more genuine may be one’s appreciation of fundamental things like home, and love, and understanding companionship.’
– Amelia Earhart
Fiona Gruber is a journalist, broadcaster and radio documentary maker. She’s written on the arts for many of the major newspapers and art journals including the Australian, the Age, the Australian Book Review and the Times Literary Supplement.