UK Programme Manager
Reporting to Head of UK Programme & International. 4 days per week (full time may be considered).
Purpose of the Job
The School of Life is a global organisation helping people lead more fulfilling lives. We do this through books, products, digital resources including our Youtube channel with 4 million subscribers, and of course, through our programme of classes and events which teach emotional skills for life.
The UK Programme Manager is responsible for all of our classes and workshops run in our London classroom as well as our programme of celebrity speaker events held at external venues around London (~6 per year).
The UK Programme Manager’s role will include the following Objectives for FY 19/20:
- Deliver 15% profit growth year on year for our UK Programme of events, in line with budgets set by the Head of Programme
- Optimise processes across Programme to minimise technical issues and manual processing, eliminating sources of error, chiefly: implementation of a new ticketing system
- Support overall company marketing efforts including growth in other departments eg retail animations
The UK Programme Manager has the following Key Responsibilities:
- Management of The School of Life’s London Classroom (busy programme of twelve core classes, four 1-day workshops, five-day schools, and Friends’ events)
- Lead our team of casual Programme Hosts
- Point person for Programme Marketing, supporting the sales effort of our marketing team and managing inventory accordingly
- Oversee introduction and implementation of new ticketing system, supported by our web team
- Website maintenance (event uploads) and quality control, using the new system)
- Speaker Booking and Production for “Specials” (Celebrity Speaker Events)
- Support our customer service especially for high value sales and as an escalation point to advise on policy
- Lead on production for One-Day Festivals
- Financial management for individual programmes / one-off events
- Drive loyalty through the classes loyalty incentive scheme and “homework” communications
- Substantial events management experience
- Robust and unflappable in the face of the unexpected
- Highly organised with exceptional attention to detail
- Commitment to exceptional customer service and experience
- Commercially minded
- Strong negotiator
- Hands-on and willing to get involved with technical detail
- Willing and able to commit to evening and weekend work as required
- Passion for and understanding of The School of Life's brand and purpose
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and especially Outlook diary management
- A strong interest in and/or a relevant degree in one of our subject areas (e.g. in the Humanities – English Literature, Philosophy, History, or Psychology) is an advantage
- Administrative experience is a benefit
Reports to: Head of UK Programme & International
Line Manages: Casual Programme Hosts
Start date: ASAP
Hours: 4 days per week. Evening and weekend work will be required on occasion, for which TOIL will be given.
Based at: 75 Kenton Street WC1N, and 70 Marchmont Street WC1N and other Central London venues as required
To apply: Email [email protected]. Please send your CV and a short covering letter (no more than 1 page, including salary expectations).
We are always on the lookout for exceptional people to join our London team.
We particularly require:
- Talented, personable faculty to teach our curriculum in the Classroom – with a gift for public presentation, a warm manner and an understanding of our outlook.
- People with a deep understanding of business processes (incl. analytical, numerical and managerial skills) allied with an interest in emotional intelligence.
- Exceptional writers who can contribute to our Content channels.