One-Day Festival: Know Yourself
Price - £249
This one-off event will be a highly sociable, immersive day consisting of inspiring and consoling lectures, exciting meetings, lively conversation, food and drinks, and exploratory games.
What is Self Knowledge?
One of the most striking features of our minds is how little we understand them. At The School of Life, we believe this lack of Self Knowledge is very often what stands between us and greater fulfillment – a relationship that will bring us joy, a job that motivates us each morning, or a wiser approach to those situations where we seem to keep making the same familiar, frustrating errors.
Know Yourself will draw on our Core Curriculum, focusing on the exploration of ourselves. The teaching methods aren’t entirely standard – our lecturers invite almost continuous interaction, encouraging participants to actively engage in self-reflection and share their stories, thoughts and reflections with others. As always at our events, we aim to establish an atmosphere where all feel welcome to contribute and question, safe in the knowledge that our courage will be met with warmth, open-mindedness, and good humour.
Our festival on Self Knowledge is for anyone who wishes to explore – as part of a curious, like-minded community – what truly interests, motivates and excites them, as well as what lies behind some of their most important fears, anxieties, and sorrows.
What Will the Festival Involve?
Here is a selection of what will be on offer on the day:
- Keynotes session with Alain de Botton, founder of The School of Life
- The Confessions Game - our faculty members will prompt honest, daring answers to important questions about our own feelings of joy, hope, fear, and sorrow
- The Wall of Self - a space for your most elusive thoughts as they develop throughout the day
- Lecture, films, music, psychological exercises and conversation
- A School of Life gift bag filled with emotionally intelligent gifts
- Refreshments throughout the day
- An opportunity to make new friends in a community of like-minded individuals
Schedule of the Day
09.30 Welcome and registration
Find your seats and meet new friends over hot drinks and pastries.
10.30 Alain de Botton on ‘The Problem of Our Minds and the Solutions to Self Knowledge’
12.00 Raul Aparici on ‘Sociability’
Enjoy a pre-prepared lunch box with newly-made friends.
14.00 Alain de Botton on ‘Failure’
15.15 Coffee break
15.45 Raul Aparici on ‘Happiness and Meaning’
17.00 Drinks reception
Discuss what you’ve learnt over the course of the day over wine and canapés.
19.00 Day Ends
Please note that this event includes materials drawn from the best of our Curriculum, including the following classes: How to Develop Self-Knowledge, How to be Sociable, How to Fail, and the Meaning of Life.