The Meaning of Life - Virtual Class
What is ‘The Meaning of Life’?
The Meaning of Life is a 2.5 hour class by The School of Life which takes place regularly in our virtual classroom over Zoom. It is one of 12 classes around our 4 core themes: Love, Work, Self and Culture. Further information on how to connect to the class will be made available once you have purchased a ticket.
Why should I attend?
To wonder too openly or intensely about the meaning of life can seem a peculiar, ill-fated and faintly ridiculous pastime. It can seem like a topic on which ordinary mortals cannot make much progress. In truth, it is for all of us to wonder about, define and work towards a more meaningful existence.
This class considers a range of options for where the meaning of life is to be found, including love, family, friendship, work, self-knowledge and nature. We learn why certain things feel meaningful while others don't, and consider how we might introduce more meaning into our activities. The class amounts to a hugely thought-provoking as well as practical guide to one of the greatest questions we will ever face.
What will I learn?
The Meaning of Life teaches:
- A meaningful life draws upon, and exercises, a range of our higher capacities; those bound up with tenderness, care, connection, self-understanding, sympathy, intelligence and creativity.
- A meaningful life aims not so much at day-to-day contentment as at fulfilment. We may be leading a meaningful life and yet often find ourselves in a bad mood. Conversely, we may be having frequent surface fun while living, for the most part, meaninglessly.
- Whereas pleasure manifests itself immediately, our taste in meaning may be more elusive.
Evening Classes - All timings are in Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)
- 6:15pm GMT session open
- 6:30pm GMT class commences
- 9:00pm GMT class ends
Morning Classes - All timings are in Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)
- 9:15am GMT session open
- 9:30am GMT class commences
- 12:00pm GMT class ends
Dates and times are available to book below. New dates for this class are added throughout the year.